CUFTS Free! Open Access Collections Team
CUFTS Free! is an open membership team. Initial participation is from BC ELN, COPPUL, and SFU Library.
Terms of Reference
Mission & Mandate
Mission: connect library patrons with quality open access materials and leverage staff time investment through collaboration.
Mandate: to coordinate production and maintenance of lists of open access titles for inclusion in the CUFTS knowledgebase, for: free downloading of MARC records for any library, anywhere; link resolving (GODOT / CUFTS users); and A to Z lists (CJDB users).
Initial membership is anticipated to be about 6-10 volunteers from the CUFTS User Group community (primarily BC ELN and COPPUL partner library staff). Primarily collections staff, at least one technology expert recommended. As this is a working group, broader membership may be considered for future phases.
Co-Chair: Don Taylor, SFU Library
Co-Chair: Heather Morrison, BC ELN
- Collaborative Production and Maintenance of CUFTS lists:
- Open Access Journals
- Open Access Magazine
- Free Government Serials
1. Identify criteria for inclusion of materials.
2. Investigate and implement technologies for efficient collaboration, production, and maintenance of title lists, e.g. google spreadsheet, automated link checking.
3. Investigate and implement (or recommend) efficient approaches to collaboration on title lists to optimize quantity and quality of title lists and leverage staff time investments.
4. Preliminary research towards future phases.
Phase 2 +
1. Research other collaborative title list collections initiatives. Investigate potential for BC participation in global collaboration and make recommendations. Example: there are substantial title lists, such as the Scielo collection, Jan Sczepanski's title lists, and open J-Gate, with tremendous potential, which with work could be more effectively integrated into library services such as link resolving and library catalogues. Other groups, such as the Directory of Open Access Journals and the Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries, are working collaboratively on open access lists. Research and planning will avoid duplication of effort and make best use of local staff time.
2. Investigate potenttial for similar open access collaborative initiatives, such as adding open access resources to OutLook OnLine or developing lists of, or portals to, free citation databases.
Last updated October 25, 2007
For further information, please contact Heather Morrison, firstname.lastname@example.org, or any of the current team members. Contact information for BC ELN contacts can be found through the "Contact" database on the BC ELN webpage.
CUFTS Free! Open Access Collections Team members, Nov. 2007
- Richard Baer, Camosun College Library
- Gilbert Bede, Okanagan College Library
- Alison Curtis, Langara College Library
- John Dobson, University of Winnipeg Library
- Ted Goshulak, Trinity Western University Library
- Shirley Lew, Vancouver Community College Library
- Christine Manzer, Simon Fraser University Library
- Corinne McConchie, University College of the Fraser Valley Library
- Kathy Plett, College of New Caledonia Library
- Laurie Prange, Yukon College Library
- Kevin Stranack, reSearcher/Public Knowledge Project Library
- Ella-Fay Zalezsak, Vancouver Community College Library